It seems like one of the latest food makeovers is chocolate avocado pudding. I keep seeing it everyone I go online when I’m searching for recipes. Avocados have TONS of health benefits and they just happened to be on sale at Aldi’s this week for $0.68 each – basically a steal. I went early Sunday morning before the crowds, so I had a nice selection of ripe and unripe to choose from. I wasn’t sure how the pudding would turn out, but if it was tasty, we’d have a nice stockpile of avocados to choose from 🙂
I couldn’t find a recipe that was quite what I wanted, but made my own after looking at a few. The results – a.m.a.z.i.n.g. It doesn’t taste a thing like avocado (if you can say avocado really has a taste). Just like straight-up whole milk, dark chocolate pudding. It was so rich and creamy! Since there isn’t added sugar, I didn’t feel bad letting Eli lick the bowl with me. He was begging for more when we finished up.
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dates or dried fruit puree (I used sunsweet lighter bake)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup water (based on your desired consistency)
- Slivered almonds, crushed peanuts, or fresh berries for toppings
- Peel avocados and remove pits. Place in food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients to food processor, except water. Process until smooth (about 2 minutes)
- Add water to thin to desired consistency. Remember it will thicken a bit when chilled.
- Pour into a large glass bowl for storage or individual serving bowls. Chill for at least an hour.