Spinach & Butternut Squash Lasagna
Cooking Light (found on TheKitchenSinkRecipes.com with slight modifications)
Serves 6 to 8
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vidalia onion, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 18 ounces of fresh spinach
- 9 cooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozerella cheese
- Cook onion in 1 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt for 2 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat.
- Create a white sauce by mixing 1/4 cup of milk with the 1/4 of flour in a glass measuring cup and whisk well with a wire whisk. Add the reamining milk and whisk well. Slowly add the mixture to the pan until the mixture is smooth, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat. Cover surface of milk mixture with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place squash in a large bowl. Add vinegar; toss to coat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Arrange squash in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and sage. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- While cooking, combine remaining 2 teaspoons of oil, red pepper, and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add spinach, 1 bag at a time; cook until wilted, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently.
- Mix the cheese together in a bowl. Spoon 1/3 cup milk mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over milk mixture; top with spinach mixture, 2/3 cup milk mixture, 1/2 cup cheese. Arrange 3 noodles over cheese; top with squash mixture, 2/3 cup milk mixture, remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Arrange remaining 3 noodles on top of cheese; spread remaining 1/2 cup milk mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.