A few years ago I tried my first green monster. I may have blogged about it in the past. I offered Jason a giant glass of green and for the first time ever in our marriage, he hesitated to taste what I had prepared. He was already wincing as he put the glass to his lips. But, slowly after he took the first drink his face relaxed and he agreed it was delicious.
I first learned about the “Green Monster” smoothie from Angela at “Oh She Glows.” The recipe is simple – 2 cups of spinach, about 1 cup of fruit, a splash of milk, and ice (or no ice if you use frozen fruit). The possibilities and additions are endless. I recently started making these smoothies again as a new way to get my salad in for the day. Just google “green smoothie” or “green monster” and my comments will be confirmed – these are nothing short of amazing and delicious. Why are they so great?
- Make an entire meal in less than 10 minutes
- If you have a mini blender system, you barely make any dishes
- Get 2 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit without thinking
- Grab-and-go – you can prepare them in advance
- Kids love them – we gave them out at a local grocery store as part of an Outgamine County FAN coalition and CAHL event
- 100% raw for those of you interested in detox or raw food diets
- Fit into ANY diet – gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, vegan-friendly, etc…
- Suprisingly filling – I have had one as a post-bike ride dinner and wasn’t hungry the rest of the night
There are tons of recipes here. Feel free to share your recipes here or at the previous link!
Lynn’s Favorite Green Monster
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup blue berries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- splash of almond milk (you can use any liquid – milk, milk-substitute, juice, water, etc…)
- Pour a little milk in the bottom
- Place spinach in the blender first – this prevents it from flying up into the lid
- Put fresh fruit on top (set frozen fruit aside)
- Pulse to see if there is enough milk. If the blender gets stuck, add a little more milk if needed
- Blend until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Add frozen fruit. Pulse a few times and then blend until thick.