Sweet Potato Chili by A Year of Slow Cooking
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and in 2-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice (not pictured. If you don’t have any in the house, use water)
- Use a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Peel and chunk the sweet potato and add to the pot. Add diced onion. Follow with the red bell pepper, can of tomatoes, the beans, garlic, and seasonings. Pour in OJ and water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the onion is translucent and the sweet potato is fork-tender (if you want the sweet potato to get really squishy and disappear when stirred, cook longer).