Turkey Sloppy Joes
Adapted from Everyday Food (found on TheKitchenSinkRecipes.com)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 carrots, coarsely grated (2 cups)
- 2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 pound ground turkey (93% lean, dark meat)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 good-quality hamburger rolls, split
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium; add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add turkey; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve on rolls.