Jason loves tuna and as most of you could guess by recent blog posts, I do not. The recipes I usually make (Cheesy Tuna Casserole) seems a little heavy, so I wanted to make something lighter for Jason. This recipe does use a slurry for the white sauce instead of a roux and does not have any cheese in it. Jason said it was just as good as they cheesy casserole, so I think it is a winner.
Easy and Creamy Tuna Casserole
- Penne Pasta (enough for 2-3 servings)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 Cans of Tuna
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 stalk of Celery, diced
- Full Pea Pods, Diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Parmesan Cream Sauce* (see below)
Parmesan Cream Sauce Ingredients
- Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- Black Pepper
- Salad Supreme
- Boil Noodles
- Cook Veggies in a pan with 1 tbsp oil
- Add Tuna
- Add 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a separate pan prepare the slurry
- Pour ½ cup of milk into a measuring cup and add 1 tbsp flour. Mix well. Add the remaining ½ cup milk and mix well. Add pepper, salad supreme, and rosemary.
- Pour mixture into a pan and stir constantly over medium heat with a spatula until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour Parmesan cream sauce over the veggies and mix well. Add the cooked and drained noodles to the mixture. Stir completely.
- If desired, you could pour into a casserole dish, top with bread crumbs, and bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until bread crumbs are browned.