(Modified from the Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites recipe for Stuffed Peppers)
· 1.5 pounds of 93% lean ground turkey
· 1 cup diced onions
· 2 tbsp dried parsley
· 2 tsp paprika
· ½ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp ground all-spice
· 2 colored peppers (I used yellow and orange), chopped
· 2 cups tomato sauce
· 2 cups brown rice, cooked
· ½ cup grated Parmesan
1. Heat a large skilled to medium. Add the ground turkey and onion and cook for 3 minutes, breaking up the meat while you cook it. Add in the parsley, paprika, salt and all-spice and continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Add the chopped peppers and cook until the meat is browned.
2. Add the pasta sauce and brown rice to the mixture. Continue to cook over medium heat for 3-5 more minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese.
*the original recipe is for stuffed peppers. Here is what you can do to make these stuffed:
- Heat the oven to 450F.
- Do not cut up the peppers but cook the rest of the mixture as directed. You will need at least 4 more peppers for this recipe. Cut off the tops of the peppers and discard the seeds and membrane. Do not throw out the top – reserve for later. Place peppers in the microwave for 2 minutes so they are still slightly crisp, but a little tender. Let cool.
- Place about ¾ cup of the cooked beef mixture into each pepper and place each pepper into a sprayed baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes, or until lightly browned. Garnish with the reserved pepper tops.