When I think there is nothing in the house to eat, there are ALWAYS two things: Bread and Cheese. What is more comforting than a good old grilled cheese sandwich? Not much! Jason and I love grilled cheese sandwiches and usually end eating them at least once every other week. We use a non-stick pan, so only a little butter goes a long way. I also make them on the George Foreman Grill for a lighter option. However, they taste 100% different, so if you are in the mood for that crispy, buttery crust, stick to the pan.
Grilled Cheese Ingredients:
(for one half of the grilled cheese below…I usually only have one, but Jason was hungry and is having two in the pictures)
- 2 slices of Home-made bread
- 5-6 slices of cheese from the skinny end of the cheese (if you have a brick, put it flat on a cutting board and cut 5 slices from the left side)
- 1 tbsp of softened butter (or less if you are using a non-stick pan. By using softened butter, a little will go a long way)
- Heat a small skillet to medium heat (about level 6)
- Butter one side of each slice bread.
- Place the butter side down in the pan and put the pieces of cheese side by side from the left skinny side of the bread to the right. Place the second slice of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Let sit about 3 minutes.
- With a spatula, flip the sandwich over. A little trick…flip from the skinny side, not the wide side. I always flipped from the wide side and it would fall apart. Since Jason has showed me the skinny side flip, they turn out perfect every time!
- Cook about 3 more minutes.
- Repeat for 1 minutes on each side, if the sides need more browning.
Ingredients for the Zucchini Side Salad
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, coined (see picture)
- 2 beef-steak tomatoes, cut into wedges and then cut in half
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high with the oil in the skillet.
- Place the zucchini slices in the pan. Let sit about 1 minute and then turn frequently so both sides brown.
- After about 5 minutes, add the tomatoes and seasonings.
- Cook until the zucchini are soft and browned.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Happy Lunch 🙂