(adapted from 101cookbooks.com)
This recipe is very versatile and you can really add any vegetables you’d like to it. I don’t cook with frozen spinach very often (usually too much of a spinach taste compared to fresh spinach), so I wasn’t sure what I would do with the 1/2 a container of frozen spinach I had left. Luckily, Jason loved this so much I made another batch 3 days later!
2 1/2 cups leftover/pre-cooked brown rice, room temp
7 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 medium can of sliced black olives
1/2 medium red onion, diced
½ medium yellow squash
½ medium zucchini
1/3 cup pine nuts or almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (fresh is definitely better)
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Rack in the top third. Grease a 10-inch round baking dish (or equivalent) with a bit of olive oil.
- In a large bowl combine the rice, and frozen spinach.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Blend in remaining vegetables
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, and salt and then fold the eggs into the rice mixture.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is set, and the top toasty and golden.